Completed in 1894, as one of numerous bridges constructed when the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad extended its narrow gauge lines up Phantom Canyon into the Cripple Creek gold district, it features a multi-span trestle with a built-up steel deck girder.
Constructed in 1894, the two-story masonry building reflects the type of commercial block construction occurring during the boom Florence experienced at the turn of the century.
The 1914 school epitomizes the rivalry between North Cañon and South Cañon and their respective school districts, which fostered a strong sense of identity and the desire for autonomy within the South Cañon community.
The 1881 Rudd House and the circa 1860 Rudd Cabin are associated with the Anson Rudd family, early settlers of Cañon City. Both buildings are open to the public as part of the city’s museum program.
Designed for the Royal Gorge Bridge and Amusement Company by George F. Cole, the steel wires, castings, and rolled components for its towers were assembled at the Minnequa plant of Colorado Fuel and Iron in Pueblo.
The 1884 three-story brick house with its mansard roof is one of the few well preserved examples of the Second Empire Style in Colorado. The residence illustrates a quality of design and richness of detail unmatched in the Cañon City area.
The Rio Grande Hotel served for four generations as a railroad hotel. The 1907 building is architecturally significant as an example of a commercial structure constructed entirely of concrete blocks, a popular building material during the first third of the 20th century.
Constructed in 1906, this was the only municipal building for the town of Prospect Heights. Previously a Slavic enclave of mine workers, the enterprising residents incorporated to take advantage of the neighboring "dry" communities of Cañon City and South Cañon.
Oil Spring is the location of the first commercial production of oil in Colorado between 1860 and 1881. Prospecting at the site led to the formation of the state’s first oil company in 1860. Colorado’s first oil well was drilled there in 1862-63.
Constructed in 1897 on the 1880 foundations of the Colorado Collegiate and Military Institute, it is Cañon City’s oldest school building. The academy, a girl’s boarding school conducted by the Benedictine Sisters, has operated continuously since 1890.