The Plaza Block building was constructed in 1895 in the center of La Junta’s first business district, Trinidad Plaza, during a period of rapid population growth, development, and modernization all stemming from a stable railroad economy. The building had a variety of commercial occupants throughout the late nineteenth and early twentieth century and was used as a department store, grocery store, billiards hall, furniture store and upholstery shop.