The 1937 Combination Building and Barn building types, known collectively as the Silesca Ranger Station, was part of the unprecedented expansion of the Forest Service in the 1930s. The expansion largely resulted from Depression era New Deal programs, specifically the Civilian Conservation Corps, that provided much of the construction labor for the erection or upgrading of ranger and guard stations within the national forests.