PAAC Code of Ethics
As a participant in the Program for Avocational Archaeological Certification, I agree to:
- Respect the status of Prehistoric and Historic archaeological remains as non-renewable resources representing our National Heritage.
- Respect and support existing laws, policies, and programs, and to encourage others to follow my example.
- Conduct field work for the purpose of developing significant information about Colorado's cultural history.
- Engage in projects that are limited in complexity by my level of expertise and the expertise of available consultants.
- Conduct field work only with the consent of the landowner and all other tenants and leases.
- Refrain from any collecting or excavating that does not produce an acceptable report leading to the advancement of knowledge in a region (Colorado).
- Respect the dignity and remains of the human societies that are the subject of investigation.
- Deposit all cultural materials from public lands in acceptable repositories. All cultural materials found on private land are the property of the landowner. I will encourage the title to those materials to be transferred to an acceptable repository.
- Develop acceptable reports on all recovered materials and projects. Reports will be produced in a timely fashion and copies will be deposited at the Office of the State Archaeologist.