We are welcoming visitors back to our museums. Please click here for details.
National and State Register
Gas Creek School
The 1909 Gas Creek School served as Chaffee County School District No. 20’s only school from 1909 to 1958.
The one-teacher, one-room school provided instruction for students living on ranches and farms in the surrounding agricultural area of Chaffee County. The property tangibly illustrates the spread of public education and the value that Gas Creek area farmers and ranchers placed on schooling. The school was also a venue for community functions, including meetings, dances, celebrations, and dinners. Further, it is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a one-room rural schoolhouse and a relatively rare example of one constructed in brick.