Multiple property submissions group significant properties by related themes, trends, and patterns of history. Each property listed under a multiple property submission is related to the common theme. Multiple property submissions fall within three broad types.
National Register Multiple Property Submission
A series of individual and/or district listings of thematically-related historic properties. (Example: Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County)
National Register Multiple Resource Area
A series of individual and/or district listings from a single geographic area which encompasses a series of resources linked by place rather than by historic association. (Example: Manitou Springs Multiple Resource Area)
National Register Thematic Resource
A series of individual and/or district listings of thematically-related historic properties. (Example: Vehicular Bridges in Colorado Thematic Resource)
The historic contexts and registration requirements developed as part of a particular multiple property submission facilitate the identification and evaluation of similar properties in the future. In some cases, properties already individually listed in the National Register may be covered.
Several of the multiple property documents have been approved for use in the State Register program in addition to the National Register.
Annotated multiple property submission titles pertaining to Colorado are listed alphabetically below, and they appear on the following pages along with a list of related properties. The properties may also be found under the previous county listings in this directory. Please see the county listings for individual property annotations.
The multiple property listing Agricultural Resources of Boulder County is organized around the built resources and historic landscapes resulting from agricultural activities in Boulder County, Colorado.
The Denver-based architect Jules Jacques Benois Benedict practiced from 1909 until 1942. The context document divides Benedict’s work in three time periods and further divides his work into five major property types. The first and largest body is domestic buildings. This group includes the Cranmer House, the demolished Belmar, and the Weckbaugh Mansion.
Located west of Grand Junction near the northern rim of the Uncompahgre Plateau, the 20,500 acre (32 square miles) area which is now the Colorado National Monument encompasses six canyons, each with distinctive cliffs and sandstone monoliths. The monument was officially established by presidential proclamation in 1911. Given the rugged terrain and relative remoteness, access to the monument was a problem for decades after its creation.
The historic context encompasses all school buildings constructed for K-12 public education. The MPDF examines historical trends shaping school construction and design, including the post-war baby boom, evolving Progressive educational philosophy, mid-century Modernism, suburban growth, and the Cold War. The MPDF is organized into two primary contexts: Education at Mid-Century and Building the Mid-Century School.
This context study focuses on the historical development of the Colorado state road and highway system. These are the state and federal roads and highways over which the Colorado Department of Transportation and its predecessor agencies have or once had authority for planning, construction or maintenance.
The multiple property listing Commercial Resources of the East Colfax Avenue Corridor is organized around the resources located along East Colfax Avenue from Grant Street to Colorado Boulevard, located in the City and County of Denver, Colorado.
Since their establishment in 1851, the villages of the Rio Culebra of Costilla County and their associated cultural landscapes have been representative of early Hispano settlement in Colorado. The vernacular architecture of the villages incorporated and retained hybridized styles characteristic of the outside influences introduced into the Rio Culebra between 1851 and 1964.
Properties listed under this submission are located in the land annexed to the City and County of Denver in 1988 for the construction of Denver International Airport. Historic resources in this area were identified which date from as early as 1860. The properties reflect the early Anglo-American development of the area beginning with homestead farming, include road and railroad developments, and continue on through the mid-20th century.
Constructed between 1912 and 1941, the Denver Mountain Parks are a rural park and parkway system consisting of 47 foothill and mountain parks interconnected by scenic drives. The City of Denver owns approximately 13,500 acres of mountain land located in the counties of: Clear Creek, Douglas, Grand and Jefferson.
The Denver Park and Parkway System consists of over 400 acres of parks and more than 30 miles of developed parkways. The system represents the will, the effort, and the imagination of the first generation of Denver citizens, energetic civic leaders, and creative designers.
Dinosaur National Monument is located in northwestern Colorado and northeastern Utah in an area of rugged canyons along the Green and Yampa Rivers. The monument’s boundaries also include numerous minor canyons, mountain parks, and basins.
McElmo Creek flows west through Montezuma County and eventually joins the San Juan River. The McElmo drainage area is one of 10 cultural units defined by archaeologists within the northern San Juan drainage area, part of the Mesa Verde region, located in the Colorado Plateau Physiographic Province of southwest Colorado and southeast Utah. This region, including Mesa Verde National Park, was once peopled by an ancient tribe of Native Americans known to later inhabitants as the Anasazi.
The bridges listed below represent the best examples of their types remaining in place on state, county, and municipal roads in Colorado. Many of the bridges were originally recognized in conjunction with the 1985 Vehicular Bridges in Colorado Thematic Resource nomination prepared after the completion of a statewide bridge survey in 1984.
The associated historic context discusses the social and economic importance of metal mining within northern Hinsdale County during the years between 1870 and 1950. Large quantities of gold, silver, copper, lead, and zinc were among the metals mined during several periods of prosperity.
Weld County, the third largest in Colorado, is one of the original 17 counties in the state. Comprised of over 4,000 square miles, Weld County is located on the High Plains in the northeast portion of the state. Greeley is the county seat, major urban area, and home of the University of Northern Colorado.
Historic Mining Resources of San Juan County, Colorado Form contextualizes the prominent and long-lived local mining industry between 1860 and 1954 in the eight principal mining districts historically active in the county: Las Animas, Eureka, Mineral Point, Poughkeepsie, Cement Creek, Mineral Creek, Ice Lake, and Bear Creek.
This Multiple Property Submission was initiated by the office of the National Register of Historic Places, National Park Service. The related historic contexts were adapted from a 1993 National Park Service document, Presenting Nature: The Historic Landscape Design of the National Park Service, 1916 to 1942 by Linda Flint McClelland. The Multiple Property Documentation Form is particularly useful in identifying and evaluating the wide range of properties developed in national, state, and local parks by the Civilian Conservation Corps in conjunction with the National Park Service during the Great Depression.
Ranching operations represent a major component of the landscape and history of South Park. The associated historic context, The History of Ranching in South Park, Colorado, 1859-1950, traces the development and evolution of ranching activities in the South Park portion of Park County.
The Historic Residential Subdivisions of Metropolitan Denver, 1940-65 Multiple Property Documentation Form covers residential subdivision growth in the five-county metropolitan area. Subdivisions represented the building blocks for the region’s rapid development during the period, producing substantial growth within Denver and resulting in suburbanization of the surrounding counties.
A Historic Residential Suburb is defined as a geographic area, usually located outside the central city, that was historically connected to a city by one or more modes of transportation; subdivided and developed primarily for residential use according to a plan; and possessing a significant concentration, linkage, and continuity of dwellings on small parcels of land, roads and streets, utilities, and community facilities.
In 1903, the Colorado National Guard established its only permanent training facility three miles east of Golden. The site, originally known as the State Rifle Range, developed into a post that served as the primary storage and supply facility for local Guard units and the location of the Guard’s summer encampments from 1906 to 1944. The post was designated Camp George West in 1934. During the Great Depression, the post was the site of numerous public works projects which greatly expanded the facility’s role and regional responsibilities.
Colorado College, founded in 1874 as an independent, coeducational liberal arts college, is significant as one of the first degree-granting institutions in Colorado. Its establishment is associated with General William Palmer, founder of Colorado Springs, and Henry McAllister, a director of the Colorado Springs Company, both of whom donated land along Cascade Avenue for use as a campus.
This multiple property submission provides a historical context for evaluating the significance of historic resources associated with the commercial development of Denver’s Central Business District during the period 1880-1973. The oldest identified historic building in the area dates to 1880. The historical context extends from that year to 1973, when events impacting the local economy resulted in a new era of development.
Marble was founded in 1881 as part of the effort to quarry the extensive marble deposits of the Yule Creek area in Gunnison County. The town developed into a transportation and processing hub for the local marble industry.
The community of Redstone is located in the Elk Mountain area of southwest Pitkin County, approximately 16 miles south of Carbondale. The buildings and structures in the Redstone multiple property submission focus on the development of the coal mining industry in the Crystal River Valley, including the industry’s related transportation needs, the creation of the company town of Redstone, and the development of John C. Osgood’s land holdings.
The Kansas State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) lead the effort to draft the National Register of Historic Places Amended Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) for the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail with participation from the National Park Service National Trails office and SHPO representatives of the five states through which the Trail passed. This collaborative effort began in August 2009 with a meeting in Dodge City, Kansas between those parties as well as the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation and Santa Fe Trail Association.
Listed properties represent the period in Lafayette’s history when coal mining dominated the lives of its citizens. From the 1880s through the 1930s, coal was the mainstay of the economy. The properties selected reflect a cross section of those associated with the coal mining era. They each occupied a central role in the community and are representative of their type and style.
During the 1860s, settlement in the area was agricultural based. In the late 1870s, coal was discovered, leading to a population boom and the founding of the town. Unlike coal camps which were planned and built by coal companies for their employees, Louisville is typical of coal towns where the architecture evolved over time. The properties included in the resource area are representative of commercial and residential development in Louisville during the late 19th and early 20th century.
Manitou Springs, located 75 miles south of Denver and adjacent to the western city limits of Colorado Springs, was settled as a resort town during the late 19th century. Mineral springs located there were already known to Native Americans, trappers, and early explorers. These sites were developed to serve miners, tourists and health seekers, creating a spa community.
The Boulder County Metal Mining Multiple Property nomination is a collection of districts and buildings that illustrate the communities associated with the metal mining industry in the mountain region of Boulder County from 1858 to 1910.
Mining was far and away the most significant industry in nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Colorado and has remained important since that time. The Pike’s Peak Gold Rush brought unprecedented numbers of people into the region and that in turn led to powerful social, economic, and political changes that brought about the creation of Colorado Territory in 1861, culminating in the admittance of Colorado to the Union in 1876.
During the first decades of the 20th century, advances in concrete manufacturing and the development of easy to use concrete block forming machines led to the use of ornamental concrete block in both residential and commercial construction.
In Park County cemeteries were created in association with Euro-American settlement, whether as towns, mining camps, rural agricultural communities, or individual ranches. Although the county’s initial population consisted of mostly young men and women, they were not immune to sickness, accidents, and violence resulting in death in the fledgling frontier settlements. Places to bury the dead quickly became a necessity.
The Paleo-Indian period began approximately 11,500 years ago and extended some 4,000 years. Sites associated with this period contain undisputed evidence of human occupation including tools (particularly projectile points), fire pits, and animal remains.
Railroads played a significant role in the overall development of Colorado. The document was created as a result of a Colorado State Historical Fund grant awarded to Colorado State Parks for the purpose of preparing a historic context that would assist in evaluation and planning efforts related to railroad abandonments and potential rails-to-trails conversions.
Located in north-central Colorado, Rocky Mountain National Park straddles the Continental Divide. It encompasses the rugged Front Range and Mummy Range and contains several peaks above 12,000 feet, including Long’s Peak at 14,255 feet. The park was created by Congress in 1915.
In 1861, a comprehensive school law was among the acts passed by Colorado’s first Territorial Legislative Assembly. Historians have noted that a community’s construction of a school building often reflected not only a belief in the importance of universal education but a desire to lend an aura of permanence to the community itself.
The US Post Offices in this nomination reflect a 40 year period (1900-1940) of development of the federal agency in Colorado. These buildings are well crafted examples of their type or style. They depict the agency’s goal to improve services and create an imposing, official impression of the Federal government. Several of these buildings are New Deal projects and thus reflect the Roosevelt administration’s commitment to federally sponsored infrastructure development.
These West Colfax Avenue properties, built in 1890 and 1891, were designed by the Denver architectural firm of Lang and Pugh. Houses designed by William Lang, the creative spirit of the firm, and his partner Marshall Pugh are among the most exuberant and eclectic in Denver. The five houses on Stuart Street are all different. However, each is uniquely Lang, and they provide an excellent opportunity to study his work.