Since July 2015, when the Job Creation and Main Street Revitalization Act went into effect, credits have been reserved for 59 commercial projects across Colorado. The projects have brought new life to vacant and underutilized buildings and revitalized surrounding neighborhoods. The economic benefits of commercial projects alone include over $180 Million in reinvestment, on both large and small projects, $14 Million in sales tax collected and 876 new after construction jobs generating $37 Million in added payroll. An additional 78 owner occupied residential projects have benefited from the credit.
When it opened in 1882, the Grand Imperial Hotel was Silverton’s largest building. In addition to housing guests, the hotel also served as the county courthouse, city hall, post office, and home of the Silverton Standard newspaper. Unlike other mountain town hotels from this era, the Grand Imperial stayed open through the Silver Crash, the Great Depression, and both World Wars. The last major rehab project was undertaken in 1951.
In 1890, the Odd Fellows celebrated the opening of this two-story brick meeting hall, which housed a saloon and a butcher’s shop on the ground floor. The Odd Fellows used the building for ninety-seven years. Unlike many other Odd Fellows halls throughout the state, the citizens of New Castle kept their building in service with a mixture of residential and commercial tenants.
Fort Collins developer L.C. Moore designed this Italian Renaissance Revival residence to be the showpiece of his planned housing subdivision. Local businessman Edwin Schlichter paid $7,900 to be the first owner, but by the 1960s the home had fallen on hard times and was being used by a local fraternity. Rescued from oblivion by a local couple, the house remained in use as the neighborhood gradually transitioned into a commercial corridor.
US Navy test pilot Robert Stanley opened a sprawling factory—covering nearly five acres—in 1954 to design, test, and manufacture ejection seats for the military. Located right next to the bustling Stapleton Airport, the colorful Stanley Aviation sign was a familiar sight to Denver passengers in the 1960s and 70s. Stanley continued to manufacture high-tech aerospace parts at the plant until 2007, when the factory closed for good.
Denver was just five years old when Moritz Sigi began brewing his “Buck Beer” for thirsty gold miners. By 1900, when the brand was renamed “Tivoli,” brewing was centered in this sprawling five-story brick complex in Denver’s Auraria neighborhood. Tivoli Beer was a staple of bars throughout the west until the company finally closed in 1969. A 1980s renovation turned the building into a student union for the nearby Auraria Campus, but by 2010 large portions of the building were empty and outdated.
Brothers Sam, Sol, and Henry Jaffa opened Trinidad’s first opera house in 1882 to great fanfare. It hosted plays, brass bands, public speakers, and other events for twenty-four years before closing in 1906. The practical citizens of Trinidad filled in the old auditorium with a new floor and repurposed the building as an office block and an annex to the nearby Wight Hotel. The building was still in use when it was badly damaged by a 5.3-magnitude earthquake in 2011. Although some experts recommended demolition, the community rallied to preserve and repair the building.