Built by Ruth and Alexander Buchan between 1935 and 1937 under the auspices of the United States Forest Service Recreation Residence program, the Buchan Cabin is one of the few remaining privately-owned isolated cabins in the Roosevelt National Forest. Still used by the Buchan family as a summer retreat, the cabin represents a means of public recreation within the forest that has become increasingly rare since the Recreation Residence program effectively ended in the 1960s.
First opened in 1959, the Fountain Inn motel is important for its association with East Colfax Avenue’s development over time into one of Denver’s most important commercial and entertainment corridors.
The 1908 Montrose Fruit & Produce Association Building played an important role in the commercial history of Montrose and the Western Slope, serving as a warehouse and office for the Montrose Fruit and Produce Association, and, later, as a warehouse for the Montrose Potato Growers Association—a function it continued to fulfill until the mid-1960s.
Constructed in 1911, the Edwin L. Smith Building played a notable role in the development of La Veta's central business district and continues to be one of the most prominent commercial buildings on Main Street.
Designed by local architect William N. Bowman in the Georgian Revival style and completed in 1925, the Colburn Hotel is a fine example of a residential hotel as constructed in Denver during the early twentieth century.
Built in 1962-63 and inspired in design and layout by the historic Bent’s Old Fort in Otero County, The Fort was constructed of adobe bricks using traditional Hispanic methods and materials. As one of few structural core adobe resources in Colorado outside the San Luis Valley, The Fort is exceptional for its adaptation of historic design, its association with William Lumpkins, an architect known internationally for work in adobe and the Pueblo Revival style, and for its use of traditional practices of construction and embellishment.