Built in 1877 to haul silver ore, the Colorado Central Railroad also enjoyed popularity as a tourist attraction.
The Devil’s Gate high bridge, considered to be an engineering feat and this most famous element of the route allowed climbing trains to circle back over the lower track as the railbed rose from Georgetown to Silver Plume. The bridge was dismantled in 1939. During the 1970s, the railroad resumed summer service over the rebuilt loop and 4.5 miles of track, the result of a restoration project coordinated by the Colorado Historical Society. The Society operates the railroad during the summer months. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.