E.A. Schlichter House
Fort Collins developer L.C. Moore designed this Italian Renaissance Revival residence to be the showpiece of his planned housing subdivision. Local businessman Edwin Schlichter paid $7,900 to be the first owner, but by the 1960s the home had fallen on hard times and was being used by a local fraternity. Rescued from oblivion by a local couple, the house remained in use as the neighborhood gradually transitioned into a commercial corridor.
With the help of $132,000 in State Historic Preservation Tax Credits and $90,000 in Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credits, the old house was converted into offices for the local law firm of March, Olive, and Pharris. The old home’s bedrooms and public rooms were subtly transformed into office, records storage, and administrative spaces, while the exterior of the home and the surrounding landscape was restored to its 1921 appearance. This rehabilitation project is a good example of a small-scale, low-budget rehab that generates economic activity while protecting and reusing historic buildings.
1312 South College Avenue, Fort Collins
Built in 1921
Project costs: $438,246
State Tax Credits: $132,000
Federal Tax Credits: $90,000
Opening date: 2017