107 South Grand was built in 1891 to accommodate the booming railroad commerce industry and provide affordable housing for the workforce of the town. It became known as “La Veta Place.”
The building is one of the few surviving buildings from the Great Pueblo Flood in 1921 which destroyed much of the city. By 1965 the building traded hands to the Hegler family who used the first floor for commercial business while the top was converted to office suites. The Pueblo Arts Alliance (PAA) acquired the building in 2015, changing the lower level into retail and studio space while the upper level became additional studio space. In 2016 the building was recognized as a Local Historic Landmark by the City of Pueblo.
With this grant, the PAA will create construction documents detailing what work needs to be done to preserve the historic masonry façade at the front of the building. Reviving this historical building will offer a space for the arts to grow in the community, while providing an affordable retail space for creative entrepreneurs.