The U-shaped complex is one of the county’s best examples of the Mission style. The largest of several Works Progress Administration projects built in the county during the 1930s, the courthouse construction began in 1936.
Using local clay and sand, the WPA workers produced more than 450,000 bricks at a kiln located north of Alamosa. The courthouse continues to house a variety of county offices. See related WPA properties.
In a recent restoration project, workers replaced the leaky red-tile roof, re-pointed the brick masonry, restored the windows, made the arcade accessible to the disabled, and added wood-framed, custom-made storm windows to blend into the elegant façade. The 1937 cornerstone was taken out and its well-preserved contents catalogued and reinstalled along with new items, including a list of county projects made possible by SHF grants totaling over $277,000 matched by county funds of more than $100,000.