Constructed in 1914 and expanded in 1939 through New Deal programs, the Bent County High School is locally significant for its associations with education, entertainment/recreation, politics/government and architecture.
The property is listed under the 2005 New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Documentation Form. The building is architecturally significant as a distinctive example of 1910s school design in the Classical Revival style on Colorado’s eastern plains and 1930s school design in the WPA Moderne style. The original section of the school building reflects the Classical Revival style through its symmetrical design, full-height entry porch supported by fluted Ionic columns, elaborate cornice with dentils beneath overhanging eaves, and wide paneled frieze. Designed by Walter Dubree, a local architect based out of La Junta, the style was well suited to institutional, educational architecture. Although the school remained in active use until the late 1990s,the period of significance begins in 1914 and closes in 1960.