The four-story, brick Victorian building, was constructed in 1880 and served as the permanent edifice of the Brinker Collegiate Institute until 1889. From 1889 until 1904, the property was remodeled and opened first as the Richelieu Hotel and then the Navarre.
In 1893, owner Owen LeFevre had an underground rail system built to the Brown Palace Hotel across the street which accommodated unseen passage as well as coal delivery. Beginning in 1914, the Navarre served as a private club or restaurant. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.