James B. Putnam homesteaded the ranch’s original 160 acres in 1881. When purchased by the Buckley family in 1908, the cattle ranch spread across more than 2,500 acres. During the 1920s, sheep replaced cattle as the primary focus of ranching in the South Park area, and the production of hay also played an important role in the successful operation of the ranch.
The 6.4 acre historic district encompasses the former ranch headquarters area and includes numerous ranch-related buildings and structures of log or wood frame construction. Members of the Buckley family continued to operate the ranch until 1949. In 1986, the Colorado Division of Wildlife purchased the property, and it is now utilized for recreational activities associated with Spinney Mountain State Park. Listed under Historic Ranching Resources of South Park, Colorado Multiple Property Submission.