Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot (Alamosa County Offices)
The depot operated as an important transfer point for passengers, mail, and freight traveling between Denver, Creede, Santa Fe and Durango. Agricultural development in the valley made it essential for coordinating crop shipments.
Built in 1908, to replace an 1878 depot destroyed by fire, the west section was added in 1930. Its Spanish tile roof reflects the San Luis Valley’s Hispanic heritage. Passenger and freight use decreased in the 1950s, leading to the station’s closure. Subsequent interior remodeling occurred to accommodate city offices, but the exterior remains nearly as built. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.