The Florence High School is significant for its contribution to education in the City of Florence. The resource reflects significance in the area of education as a representation of an early-twentieth century high school that remained in service of its community for almost a full century first as a high school and later as a junior high school. The resource reflects significance for its representation of the Classical Revival The and Modern Movements architectural styles.
In January 1920, the Florence School Board, School District No. 2 the building site for the new Florence High School. Construction of the new high school building began later that year, contractor A.S. Hall & Son submitted orders for building materials in April 1920 and brickwork was well underway by September 1920. Sports and extracurricular activities were a key component of student life and education at the Florence High School. Yearbooks between 1922 and 1979 record a range of options including Art Club, Boy’s Cooking Club, Latin Club, Basketball, Band, Cheerleading, Majorettes, Baseball, and Student Council. A new gymnasium was constructed in 1952 complete with new locker rooms. The annex and gymnasium were connected by an addition constructed in 1952 -1953.