The City and County of Denver established the George W. Clayton Trust and College in 1911 through a bequest by George W.Clayton. Clayton sought to provide for the guardianship and education of boys whose fathers had died and whose mothers were unable to care for them. He wanted to provide a cost-free standard of care and education significantly beyond that typical of the time.
From 1911 through 1957, over 600 boys received shelter, support, and an education at Clayton College. The campus is architecturally significant for its initial buildings, especially the administration building, the four dormitories, and the power house. Designed by Denver architects Maurice Biscoe and Henry Hewitt, the buildings are good examples of the Italian Renaissance Revival style and exhibit a high degree of craftsmanship in their sandstone masonry.