The simple two-story wood frame building has a flat roof. The community erected the building in 1899. By 1900, Goldfield was the third largest town in the booming Cripple Creek mining district.
The building served as a city hall and fire station until 1940. It is the only remaining public building in what is now virtually a ghost town. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.