The Denver and Salt Lake Railroad’s arrival in Hayden in 1913 ended the community’s isolation from eastern Colorado population centers and economic markets. The railroad constructed the sturdy two story brick depot in 1918 to serve growing freight and passenger traffic.
Although freight shipments continue through Hayden, passenger service ended in 1968. The depot now functions as a local museum. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.