When John McClave bought the house and barn in 1885 on the now-Kunzman Family Farm near Platteville, part of the land belonged to a Civil War veteran who was granted the plot for his military service.
Twenty-five years later, William Stuefer, a banker from Nebraska, bought the land as an investment, and in 1917, his daughter Lydia and her husband Charles Kunzmann began farming the property, where they raised sugar beets, hay, and grain along with their three children: Ruth, William and John. Charles was one of the founding incorporators of the Union Rural Electric Association and received an award for his long service to the organization.
In 1936 John Kunzman took over farming and spent the following years raising livestock, green beans, tomatoes, sugar beets, hay, barley, wheat, and pickles for canning companies. Nine years later, he and wife Sylva moved into the large farmhouse, where they raised four children. In 1997 the farm and water rights were put into the Kunzman Family LLC. Over the past century, the farm has grown to 492 acres. Today a neighbor rents and works the land, but the main 1885 home, 1900 barn, three other homes, and a variety of outbuildings are still in use.