The simple L-shaped stuccoed stone depot dates to 1877. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad built it atop the 9,400 foot high La Veta Pass to serve passenger trains bound to and from the San Luis Valley to the west.
The building functioned until 1899 when the original narrow gauge line gave way to a standard gauge replacement seven miles to the south. The simple design and construction reflect the early era of railroad development, particularly in isolated regions like the summit of La Veta Pass. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
East of La Veta Pass Summit, south side of road, La Veta