The district encompasses a scattered collection of architecturally distinctive and historically important masonry buildings supported by numerous residential and commercial buildings that contribute to the overall appearance associated with late 19th century western mining towns.
The Leadville mining district ranks as one of the country’s richest mineral regions. The first gold mining boom occurred in 1860, bringing approximately 10,000 miners to the area. The second boom began in 1878 with the discovery of extensive silver deposits. By 1880, the population was estimated to be between 25,000 and 40,000. The fortunes of Leadville’s best known silver king, H.A.W. Tabor, crashed along with silver prices in 1893. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
National Historic Landmark
Roughly bounded by Hazel St., W. 2nd St., James St., & 10th St., Leadville