J.D. Long started his business in Boulder in 1905, carrying seeds, bulbs, and plants. He and his wife Cora acquired the original three acres and house in 1916.
The arrival of Woolworths in Boulder inspired Long to specialize in seeds, thus forming J.D. Long Seed Company. Nationwide distribution of a mail-order catalog filled with gardening advice promoted rapid business growth. He received national recognition from the New England Gladiolus Society and the North American Gladiolus Council in the 40s, but Irises became the main crop in the 60s. Due to the growth of Boulder, the farm is now only one mile north of downtown Boulder and completely surrounded by the city. At the time of its Centennial Farms award the business was in its 112th year.