The Manitou Springs Historic District, which encompasses almost the entire city limits, is representative of late 19th and early 20th century resort communities. Located five miles from Colorado Springs, it was founded by General William Jackson Palmer of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad.
Platted by his Colorado Springs Company in 1876, Manitou Springs retains its winding roads, spa, and many of its grand hotels and residences. Of the approximately 1001 buildings, 752 are considered to be contributing to the district’s significance. From its beginning, the local economy depended almost exclusively on tourism. Listed under Manitou Springs Multiple Resource Area.
Bounded by El Paso Blvd., Ruxton Ave., US 24 & Iron Mt. Ave., Manitou Springs