Some of our museums are currently closed. Click here for details.
National and State Register
Montrose Fruit & Produce Association Building
The 1908 Montrose Fruit & Produce Association Building played an important role in the commercial history of Montrose and the Western Slope, serving as a warehouse and office for the Montrose Fruit and Produce Association, and, later, as a warehouse for the Montrose Potato Growers Association—a function it continued to fulfill until the mid-1960s.
Founded in 1907, the Montrose Fruit & Produce Association constructed this brick building after fire destroyed its first warehouse and office building. The new building was designed by architect John H. Antrobus and built by the Montrose construction firm of White & Okey. Goods such as potatoes, apples, peaches, sugar beets, and wool were delivered to the west loading dock, stored, sorted, graded, and packaged inside the building, and then loaded onto railcars from the east loading dock. The building is an excellent example of an early-twentieth-century agricultural warehouse building and retains exceptional authenticity for a building of its age and type.