In the midst of the Great Depression, the county commissioners took advantage of a federal construction grant from the Public Works Administration (PWA) to match county funds toward the erection of a new courthouse to replace a 1907 building.
The 1936 courthouse is a good example of the Art Deco style and an important work by the major Colorado architect Eugene G. Groves. During the lean Depression years, Groves stayed busy completing commissions on several PWA-funded projects. The 1921 jail replaced the original 1898 facility. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission.