Constructed by the Public Works Administration (PWA), the Phillips County Courthouse represents President Roosevelt’s New Deal legislative agenda to bring America out of the Great Depression. The courthouse is the only surviving PWA project in Phillips County and the most intact of all the county’s New Deal projects.
The brick building with terra cotta trim is an example of the Moderne style applied to a government building constructed with PWA funds and designed by a prominent Denver architect, Eugene Groves. The building is associated with the governing of Phillips County, serving continuously as the courthouse since 1936. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission.