Red Rocks Park and Mount Morrison Civilian Conservation Corps Camp National Historic Landmark
Previously listed in the National Register of Historic Places on May 18, 1990 under Denver Mountain Parks, the historic district is nationally significant under the themes Developing the American Economy, in the area of governmental policies and practices, and Expressing Cultural Values in the areas of architecture and landscape architecture. The architect and builders are outlined as BurnhamHoyt, Stanley Morse, the Civilian Conservation Corps, National Park Service, Works Progress Administration, and U. S. Department of the Army.
Significant between 1935-1959, the district exemplifies federal and local government collaborative planning, carried out with the manpower of the CCC, that developed public landscapes and advanced outdoor recreation during the mid-1930s. The nearly intact CCC camp is an outstanding example made all the more significant due to the inherent fragility of CCC camp buildings. The 1935-6 camp retains fourteen of the original fifteen camp buildings. The park is considered the “jewel” of the Denver Mountain Parks system, originally purchased in 1928, with amphitheater construction from 1936 to 1941. The property is associated with the Historic Park Landscapes in National and State Parks Resources Multiple Property Submissions.