Constructed in 1906, the 140,000 gallon steel tank measures 24 feet in diameter and 43 feet in height. Around 1900, railroads began using steel tanks to replace the elevated wood tanks that provided water for coal-fired steam locomotives.
Utilized by the Santa Fe Railway until 1950, this tank is an early example of the evolving technology and is believed to be one of the last surviving steel railroad water tanks in the state. Listed under Railroads in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Along US Hwy. 85 west of the junction with Colo. Hwy. 67, Sedalia