We are welcoming visitors back to our museums. Please click here for details.
National and State Register
South Platte River Bridge (Lake George)
The South Platte River Bridge is an intact reminder of the historic highway route (variously designated State Highway 8, State Highway 4, U.S. Highway 40 South, and U.S. Highway 24) between Colorado Springs and southern Park County, which was an important transportation corridor long before Euro-American settlement.
Built in 1920, the bridge is a relatively early use of concrete construction for state highway bridges. Its concrete slab and girder design is reflective of changing bridge standards and the design policy of the Colorado Highway Department (now known as CDOT) in the 1920s. The bridge ceased carrying mainline traffic when the route was re-aligned over another bridge immediately to the north in 1936. Listed under the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.