First established as a resort community, the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad reached the area in 1883 with its narrow gauge tracks and constructed the wood frame depot.
The depot served as the western terminus of this branch of the D&RG until major silver discoveries at Creede in 1891 caused the railroad to extend its rails to the mining community. Passenger service ended after World War II. The depot exhibits the characteristics of many one and one half story wood frame depots built by the D&RG during the late 19th century. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.