Located four miles further into Clear Creek Canyon than the Vicksburg Mining Camp, the property is important for its association with early mining history in the area.
Winfield’s formal history began in 1881 when the 120 acre townsite was laid out. Population peaked at an estimated 1,500 in 1890. Four of the original log buildings remain. One, with a false front of horizontal weatherboard, served as a school. Five circa 1930s cabins are also on the site. The silver market crash of 1893 temporarily halted mining in the canyon. Mining activity resumed in the early 1900s, and the last ore was hauled out of the canyon in 1918. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.