Visitors are safe and welcome at our museums. Please click here for details.
National and State Register
First opened in 1959, the Fountain Inn motel is important for its association with East Colfax Avenue’s development over time into one of Denver’s most important commercial and entertainment corridors.
The luxury motor hotel was commissioned by Julius A. Buerger Sr., a partner in the Buerger Brothers Supply Company. A full-service hospitality business that supported tourists, travelers, and local residents by providing lodging and entertainment, the motel featured a signature restaurant and lounge, the Gold Room. The Gold Room had a dining room capable of seating 114 guests, with an additional 48 persons in the cocktail lounge. Its prominence was largely driven by nightly live music and the restaurant’s world-class menu options. After the Fountain Inn and Gold Room closed in 1969, the building continued to serve as a motel and entertainment venue for several decades.
The Fountain Inn is listed under the Commercial Resources of the East Colfax Avenue Corridor Multiple Property Documentation Submission as a rare, authentic example of a mid-century Modern motel within the East Colfax Avenue commercial corridor between Grant Street and Colorado Boulevard. The building represents local Colorado architect Aubrey B. Brelsford’s interpretation of the International Style, a popular style for commercial buildings constructed during the 1950s and 60s.