Winter Warriors introduces a new generation of Coloradans to this incredible story of ingenuity, perseverance, heroism, and sacrifice in a deeply personal way - through hundreds of photos, accounts, videos, and objects from the soldiers themselves.
Included amongst the objects on display are new donations gifted by families of 10th Mountain veterans, as well as artifacts which were entrusted to History Colorado long ago. Highlights include:
- A fez taken from Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini’s Italian villa when it was occupied by American troops in 1945
- A specialized anti-tank rifle used by the Finnish ski troops that inspired the 10th Mountain Division
- An M29 Weasel mechanized cargo carrier developed for the Army during World War II
- The bow and arrows used by one of the division’s archers
- The uniforms worn by soldiers in training and in combat - as well as those worn by the Women’s Army Corps at Camp Hale and Red Cross volunteers in Italy
- An exploration of the groundbreaking gear developed for, and tested by, the 10th Mountain Division
- Pieces of art constructed, carved, and etched by soldiers at Camp Hale and on the front lines
With more than 5,000-square-feet of exhibition space in our new marquee gallery, Winter Warriors expands visitors' understanding of the 10th Mountain Division by examining the frontline accomplishments of the division and illuminating the fighting force’s origins and lasting legacy.
On November 6th 2023, Governor Jared Polis officially proclaimed November 6th as 10th Mountain Division Day in the State of Colorado. Read the full proclamation here→