Colorado College, founded in 1874 as an independent, coeducational liberal arts college, is significant as one of the first degree-granting institutions in Colorado. Its establishment is associated with General William Palmer, founder of Colorado Springs, and Henry McAllister, a director of the Colorado Springs Company, both of whom donated land along Cascade Avenue for use as a campus.
Architecturally, the historic buildings on the campus are some of the most important in the city. They include examples of the Romanesque and Classical Revival as well as the English-influenced styles popular during the "Little London" period in Colorado Springs’ development. In addition, the location of the college influenced development in the north-central portion of the city. The prestige of the college and the high architectural quality of its buildings is also reflected in the surrounding residential neighborhood. (Cover documentation accepted by National Register in 1986, Revised 1997.)
Constructed in 1908 as a women’s dormitory and dining hall, the building served as a focus of campus social life for women and reflects the early 20th century design philosophies for women’s dormitories.
Completed in 1914, the building, with its gymnasium, training and locker rooms, and no longer extant outdoor amphitheater, led to the adoption of a 3-year physical education requirement for graduation.
Constructed in 1900 for a prominent businessman, the house became part of the Colorado College campus in 1936. It is associated with the development of north Colorado Springs and subsequently played a significant role in the college’s history, serving as the Student Union from 1937 to 1959.
Built in 1903, the style building, designed by the architectural firm of Douglas and Hetherington, is notable for its Colorado Springs red sandstone construction. It was the college’s third dormitory for women and reflects the increasing number of female students at the college during the early 20th century.
Constructed in 1891, as one of the original buildings on the Colorado College campus, the design by Colorado Springs architect Walter F. Douglas has a distinctive English feel. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Colorado College Thematic Resource.
Built in 1901, the hotel is a four story, H-plan structure of cream colored pressed brick. It is Renaissance Revival in its overall massing, while Spanish influences are evident in its detailing. Listed under Colorado College Thematic Resource.
Erected in 1930-31, the chapel has been described as “one of the foremost examples of Norman Romanesque architecture in America.” Inspired by historic churches in England and Normandy, this original composition includes traditional components of Romanesque churches, including monumental size, masonry walls, limited exterior ornamentation, semi-circular arches, wall arcades, and a substantial tower. The chapel was the first major building architect John Gray designed after establishing his own practice, and it is regarded as his most important work. His all-encompassing design ranged from