Photographs and Moving Images
Click Here to Search for Photographs and Images in Our Online Collection
History Colorado's photography collection contains approximately 1 million images documenting the history of Colorado and the American West from the 1840s to the present day. Key collections include the largest archive of the work of landscape photographer William Henry Jackson and the Aultman Studio (Trinidad, Colorado) collection, containing 110 years of work from Colorado's longest-running photo studio.
Online photography collection resources:
- Index to the Subject File Collection: Photographs are arranged by subject (such as cities and towns, natural features, people, Native Americans by tribe, transportation, and other topics)
- Aultman Studio (Trinidad, Colorado) collection studio registers: Search this database to look for the names of individuals and families who sat for and purchased Aultman Studio photographs from 1890-1928.
Moving Image Collection
Our moving image collection is currently being inventoried and is unavailable for research or reproduction. Email email@example.com with questions.
History Colorado holds moving image films from and about Colorado dating from about 1915 to the present. The collection includes cinematic releases, home movies, newsreels, and promotional, educational, or industrial film reels, in a variety of formats. Many of the films featured were created by the Sonochrome Pictures Production Company and other Colorado-based producers.
Our moving image collection is stored in a variety of formats, including 35mm, 16mm, 8mm, Super 8, video, and digital formats.
Request a Reproduction
High-quality reproductions are available for personal or commercial use. Learn more about our reproduction services here, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or get the process started by downloading and submitting the PDF below. Please note that it takes approximately 5 to 7 business days to fulfill an order from our digital studio once we receive payment. If you require your images before that time, a rush fee of double the charge will apply.
Tips for searching the History Colorado Online Collection
- Play around with your search terms to narrow or increase the search
- Try alternative spellings
- Boolean operators ( "AND", "OR", and "NOT") apply
- For exact phrases try quotation marks
- Try combining your search term(s) of interest with terms such as photograph, negative, or map
- Example: Breckenridge dredge photograph