Located west of the downtown commercial area, the district encompasses the most intact of Golden’s early residential neighborhoods. The campus of the Colorado School of Mines is to the south and west. The residences within the district are primarily of brick or wood frame construction and date from the 1870s to 1920.
The neighborhood was home to many of the prominent residents associated with the development of the community. Most of the buildings are vernacular adaptations of popular styles of the period, including several two-story Italianate style examples. One-story classic cottages and bungalows are also represented.