National and State Register
Hannah Barker House
As a member and leader in many women’s clubs during the Progressive Era, Hannah Connell Barker established and chaired committees that carried out important civic projects in Boulder. These clubs were important social outlets for women during a period when intellectual pursuits were limited.
The clubs, offices and committees that Barker either formed, chaired, or participated in included: the Boulder Fortnightly Club, the Women’s Christian Temperance Union of Boulder, various free public reading room committees in Boulder, and the Woman’s Club of Boulder. Additionally, Barker personally donated land for a city park and playground, for the Pleasant View School, and for the Boulder Valley Grange #131 in Lafayette. Along with four other women from the Woman’s Club, Barker started a creamery business in 1897 and was a director of the Boulder National bank for many years. Barker lived in the house from the time of her marriage to Ezra Barker in 1877 until her death in 1918. During that time the house was used for civic meetings, as well as social events often related to Boulder women’s clubs.
First constructed in 1875, the Hannah Barker House is an excellent example of a Late Victorian Italianate style residence in Boulder. The character-defining features of the Italianate style were carried forward in an 1892 expansion and a new roof installed over the entire building, giving the appearance of a coherent “whole.” Distinctive details of Italianate design include the home’s low-pitched hipped roof, decorative eave brackets, and central cupola. Over the years, the building fell into disrepair and was abandoned in 1997, with portions demolished in 2007. Historic Boulder acquired the property in 2010 and undertook an extensive rehabilitation with the assistance of State Historical Fund grants awarded in 2013 and 2015.