History Colorado Museums
Regarding the National Endowment for the Humanities’ Section 106 Review of the History Colorado Humanities Impact Plan for Rural Colorado
The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has offered the State Historical Society of Colorado, an American Rescue Plan - Organizations grant (ARP-Organizations) for wireless network service equipment and exhibit construction and lighting for multiple sites.
NEH is an independent grant-making agency of the United States government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. This public notice is issued as part of NEH’s responsibilities under 36 C.F.R. Part 800, the regulations which implement Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) of 1966, as amended, 16 U.S.C. § 470. NEH, a funding agency, is required by regulation to identify and assess the effects of any proposed actions on historic properties. If any proposed action will have an adverse effect on historic resources, NEH works with the appropriate parties to seek ways to avoid, minimize, or mitigate any adverse effects. Additionally, the Section 106 regulations require NEH to consider the views of the public on preservation issues when making final decisions that affect historic properties.
The proposed Undertaking involves, installing new exhibits, and adding technology infrastructure at the following sites:
* Trinidad History Museum, 312 East Main Trinidad, Trinidad, CO, 81082
* Ute Indian Museum, 17253 Chipeta Rd., Montrose, CO, 81403
* Fort Garland Museum and Cultural Center, 29477 Highway 159, Fort Garland, CO, 81133
* El Pueblo History Museum, 301 North Union, Pueblo, CO, 81003
* Healy House and Dexter Cabin, 912 Harrison Avenue, Leadville, CO, 80461 (National Register of Historic Places # 70000164 and # 70000163)
* Byers–Evans House, 1310 Bannock Street, Denver, CO, 80204 (National Register of Historic Places # 70000158
* Grant Humphreys Mansion, 770 Pennsylvania St Denver, CO 80203 (National Register of Historic Places #70000160)
* Fort Vasquez, 770 Pennsylvania St Denver, CO 80203 (National Register of Historic Places # 70000169)
On February 25, 2022, Dr. Holly Kathryn Norton, Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer, for the Colorado State Historic Preservation Office, indicated that the proposed projects will have no effect on historic properties. Subsequently, NEH has determined that the project will have no effect on historic properties.
As required by Section 106, NEH is providing the public with information about this project, as well as an opportunity to comment on any knowledge of, or concerns with, historic properties in the proposed project area, and issues relating to the project’s potential effects on historic properties. Comments may be submitted to the NEH by e-mail to FPO@neh.gov. The deadline for submitting comments is March 24, 2022.
Ann E. Piesen, MCP
Federal Preservation and Environmental Officer
Office of Grants Management
National Endowment for the Humanities
400 Seventh Street, SW – Room 2026
Washington, DC 20506