Use the filter to search all properties in the state listed in the National Register of Historic Places and the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties. Sites can be searched based on county and/or level of designation.
Opened in 1867, and believed to be the oldest stone hotel building in the state, the Astor House became very popular with the state legislators attending meetings in Golden, when it was the capital of Colorado. In 1972, the two-story sandstone building was saved from demolition after local residents voted to have it purchased by the city for use as a museum.
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway was Lamar’s link to the outside world and construction of the AT&SF Passenger Depot in 1907 was a symbol of the town’s economic success and stature as a regional hub.
Chicago Architect E.A. Harrison designed the circa 1917 Jacobethan Revival style railroad depot. The building once contained one of the famous Harvey House restaurants that provided meals to passengers across the AT&SF system.
This 1890 house is associated with Samuel H. Atwater, an early developer of Cañon City, who not only bought and sold land for residential development but was a key individual in the planning and construction of community infrastructure.
Oliver E. Aultman commissioned the construction of this house for his family in 1905. A highly successful commercial photographer, Aultman documented life and culture in southern Colorado from the 1890s to the 1950s. His portraits reflect the extraordinary ethnic and socio-economic diversity of the area. His studio was purportedly the oldest established studio in Colorado operated continuously by one man.