Historic Resources of Aspen Multiple Resource Area
The town of Aspen was platted in 1880 in a remote mountain valley in the west central Rocky Mountains. Aspen quickly evolved from a mining camp of tents to a log cabin town.
As the town prospered, the log buildings were soon either sided with clapboard or replaced by wood frame structures with wood siding. The arrival of the railroad offered increased access to milled lumber and other construction materials, and soon more elaborate Victorian styles appeared as did some buildings of stone and brick construction.
The historic resources nominated under this submission fall within the range of building development in this successful late 19th century mining town. (Cover documentation accepted by National Register in 1987.) Multiple Property Documentation Form (PDF, 5.09 MB).
Located on a corner lot, this circa 1888 wood frame two-story Queen Anne style residence’s most distinctive architectural feature is a two-story rectangular bay set at an angle on its northeast front corner.
Beginning as a circa 1885 hand hewn log cabin, alterations and additions believed to date from 1892 transformed the simple building into a one-story clapboard sided dwelling in keeping with the more elegant homes associated with Aspen’s period of development as a mining center.
In 1879, the Smuggler was among the first strikes made by Charles Bennett when he and other Leadville miners first came to the Roaring Fork Valley, and the Smuggler Mining Company was incorporated in November 1881.
Often referred to as Pioneer Park, the 1½-story brick house was constructed in 1885 for Henry Webber, a shoe and boot merchant, who came to Aspen in 1880 and subsequently amassed considerable wealth through his mining investments.